Declaration of organizations and movements for the co-operative management of the Thessaloniki water by citizens
Citizens of Thessaloniki,
now that the processes of water privatization (EYATH, EYDAP) are moving again,
now that it was clearly perceived the illusion that the assignment of our affairs to third parties (parties, governments and all kinds of power) can provide solutions for the benefit of citizens,
now it's time for us all to realize that if we do not get the citizens themselves the management of the water in our hands, no one will save us!
Given that EYATH-EYDAP has passed to the super-fund and that the budget of 2018 has provided revenue of 35 million euros from the sale of 23% of EYATH, we NOW demand:
The water in the hands of citizens, not of corporations
Four years ago, in the historic Referendum of 18 May 2014 on EYATH, all together Citizens, Water Movements, Local Government and Workers, all the city's society in a Great Alliance of NO, we gave a resounding response to those who attempted to privatize. It was a great event, a golden page in the history of our city which marked Thessaloniki in the world map of the fights for water.
Today, four years later, the city must once again unite on the vital theme of water in two directions:
- prevent any attempt to privatize it;
- the formation of the Great Alliance of YES on a joint proposal of all Thessaloniki citizens, in order to pass the water cooperatively into the hands of the citizens.
We believe that this should be our response to an upcoming water privatization process.
We propose the internationally proven, most successful water management model with primary non-profit water cooperatives in each water-borne municipality of the city, whose Union will manage the EYATH of citizens, workers and municipalities in order to provide high quality water with low prices, environmental protection, democratic functioning and social justice.
We jointly open an invitation to the citizens of Thessaloniki, to the movements, the Local Government and the social organizations of the city, to jointly claim the management of the Water of Thessaloniki by the citizens and the local community.
To set up the Great Alliance of YES on this racing claim, paving the way for the final victory.
Movements, organizations, collectives signing the Declaration
- Movement K136
- Antigoni - Information and Documentation Center on Racism, Ecology, Peace and Non Violence
- Green Wave Festival
- Women in Network
- Network of Volunteer Organizations of Thessaloniki
- Network of Social Cooperative Enterprises of Central Macedonia
- Energy Social Cooperative
- Union of Cooperatives "Citizens' Association for Water"
- Reuse Now!
- Branch union of EYATH
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Agrodiaetus Nephoiptamenos - Reborn Kitchen of the Poor
- Social Cooperative Enterprise BioHerbal Hellas
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Bio-Riza
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Eco-Greece
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Icons
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Olympus Aroma
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Pointplan
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Creations
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Lifelong Learning
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Workshop without borders
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Esperides
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Mygdonia
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Collecting
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Earth Spiral
- Social Cooperative Enterprise Support S.S.E.
- Social Parliament of Toumba Thessaloniki
- Social Consumer Cooperative of Thessaloniki "Bios Coop"
- Social Space "Oikopolis"
- People's University of Social Solidarity Economy "UnivSSE Coop"
- Ecology - Solidarity
- Ecological Movement of Thessaloniki
- Ecological Network
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of Triandria, Municipality of Thessaloniki
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Delta
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Thermaikos
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of Municipality of Thermi
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the 2nd Community of Thessaloniki Municipality
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the 3rd Community of Thessaloniki (Upper Town, Eptapyrgio)
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Ampelokipoi-Menemeni
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of Municipality of Kalamaria
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Neapolis - Sykeon
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of Pavlos Melas Municipality
- Initiative Group of Water Cooperative of Oreokastro Municipality
- Observatory of Civil Society Organizations in Central Macedonia
- Environmental Association of Assiros "Friends of the Earth"
- PROS.K.AL.O. - Cooperation Initiative for the Social and Solidarity Economy
- Association for the Protection of the Environment of the wider region of Lagada, Thessaloniki
- Cooperative for the Social Management of Waste "Anabiosis Coop"
- Water Cooperative of the 1st Community of Thessaloniki Municipality (city center)
- Water Cooperative of the 4th Community of Thessaloniki Municipality (Toumba)
- Water Cooperative of the 5th Community of Thessaloniki Municipality (Charilaou, Depot, Faliro)
- Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Kordelio-Evosmos
- Water Cooperative of the Municipality of Pylaia-Chortiatis (Panorama, Pilea, Chortiatis)
- Water Cooperative of Solidarity